Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Quick update

I'm flying low since I'm not supposed to be out of bed at all, so please excuse any typos, etc. Yesterday went as well as it could have, I think. Dr. Tex was great and so were the various personnel. In case anyone asks you, yes, the procedure does hurt. It doesn't reach the level of what one might call "PAIN" but certainly does reach "damn that hurts!" (And keeps on hurting, since the procedure takes several minutes.)

However, at least the choice of fetuses was clear. Two of them were on target with their growth for their age, and had nuchal folds under 2mm. Two others were also on target for growth, but their nuchal folds were both over 3mm. (You notice the jump of at least one mil in between.) On Dr. Tex's advice, we reduced the two with the larger (and suspect) nuchal folds. Dr. Tex advised us to also get amnios done on the two that are left, and now that I've talked to a genetics counselor, I concur. It turns out that the rate of all chromosomal defects for babies conceived by women of my age (44) is 1 in 14. That's damned high. Some chromosomal problems can be lived with but others are life-altering.

Thank you so very much to everyone who has expressed their support and prayers for me. I can't tell you how much that means to me. Think of yourselves as all being grabbed and hauled into one big teary group hug right now, will ya?

2 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

You're back--I've been hoping you were okay. I'll be thinking positive thoughts.

Stay off your feet and rest!

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are doing ok.
I have been keeping up with how you feel in your blog here.

Love,
Karla

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home