Monday, August 21, 2006

Stanky thangs

I have read that pregnancy heightens one's sense of smell. Whoever wrote that hit it (ahem!) right on the nose. Suddenly, at seven weeks, everything stinks to high heaven!

Today's smells were especially bad. I'm going on the assumption that we'll be ending up with twins, and from what I've read so far, I need to be ingesting about 100 grams of protein a day to make sure they have a decent birth weight. (I haven't remotely achieved this milestone yet, but I'm working gamely on it. Although today I did dissolve in a puddle of tears over my complete inability to eat like the hog I apparently need to be, to be a Good Mother.) Also, I have read that as a Gestating Mother, I need to make sure there's plenty of omega-3 in my diet. So today, for lunch, I made salmon patties, with canned wild salmon from Trader Joe's, a bit of chopped onion and some egg to hold it together.

It stank UNBELIEVABLY in the frying pan. My house suddenly smelled like some low-rent Roman fish shop. Interestingly, though, when I made myself try the salmon patties (since I had cooked the damn things), they weren't bad, and I finished it off. But oh the reek afterward!

The heretofore perfectly-clean-smelling grocery store also stinks, I'm here to inform you. And I went to Baskin-Robbins this afternoon for a quick little pick-me-up (since when can you do that if not when you're preggo?), and even the ice cream store reeked! The air was thick with the sweet, nasty smell. It was like trying to swim through clouds of cotton candy. Outside, I sat in my car to eat the ice cream ... and tried to ignore the wafting miasmas from both the Subway shop and the local pizza joint. Erk.

Luckily, these intrusive smells have not yet made me barf ... but I'm getting nervous about that. The funny thing about it all is that due to the really dreadful allergies that I used to be saddled with, I spent probably 25 years of my life not smelling much of anything, since my nose was stuffed up at all times. And now I can't seem to get away from the army of smells that surrounds me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home