Saturday, December 01, 2007

Tough day

When I went to bed last night, I found that Georgina had made it up from her little nest, but collapsed only a couple of feet away. When I picked her up, I noticed she was twitching all over, and she also seemed not to be able to walk at all. I ended up sleeping all night with her lying on my chest.

This morning, she still seemed not to be able to get up, so I knew it was time. My lovely neighbor Grandma D came over and watched the boys, and D drove Georgina and me to the vet. On the way, I told Georgina how much I loved her and how I'd miss her, and reminisced about the fun times we had, like when D and I spent a semester in southern France (he had wangled a job teaching at a school there) and took Georgina with us, since France is fine with people bringing pets in. We had an apartment with stairs, which she had never seen before. It took her a couple of days to get used to the stairs, but then the fun began! She spent the rest of the semester charging up and down the stairs at lightning speed, often dragging along a little pink sock she had found somewhere. We often woke up there to the sound of her chirping to the sock at 3 a.m. and then ricocheting up and down the stairs a time or two. When she wasn't running up and down, she would crouch on the stairs, peering between the bannisters, "spying" on us in the living room below. I've never seen anyone have so much fun with stairs.

They gave her the drug in an I.V. in her front leg. She went easily, barely perceptibly, since she was only hanging on by a thread anyway. I can't tell you how much I cried today. I don't think I've cried this much about anything since we lost my mom back in 1996.

Tough day.

But in better news... and thank God, there is always better news as soon as I turn my attention to the boys... Gus actually clapped today! His first clap! Of course, he only did it once, but it was unmistakeable. I was whistling "Running on Ice" (it's a fun one to whistle; try it sometime) and clapping along, all for the entertainment of the boys. Both boys were grinning, and then Gus actually clapped his hands together once! What a milestone.

Then later in the evening, apropos of nothing, as far as I could tell, Sam waved at me! Or maybe he was trying to signal me to pick him up. Not sure, really, but it was something. While looking right at me, Sam held up his right hand and kind of cupped his fingers -- an inverted wave, I guess -- and then made a fist and slammed it down over his heart. Then he repeated the whole thing, grinning all the while. Meaning? Who knows? D suggested that our little guy was really attempting a Sig Heil (and I must admit it looked like that!). Too cute, whatever it was. Of course I grabbed him up and smooched his little cheeks, so now he probably thinks it's a signal for that.

Thank God for the boys. In so many ways.


Anonymous moo said...

May Georgina rest in peace. I am so sorry that she is gone.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Lulu said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Georgina; she lived a very full and happy life with family that loved her very much. I know how you feel, my 21-year old Clio went on to the Mouse Hunting Ground several weeks ago. I like to think that they are cavorting with other kitty family and friends and have unlimited access to catnip, toys, and kitty treats.

12:11 PM  
Blogger chris said...

I'm so sorry about your cat. I don't even have words for that.

Okay, not to change the subject, but you asked about babysitters at Disney? They can recommend sitting services. At Disneyworld, Kids Nite Out is popular as is Fairygodmothers. They are all screened and have infant CPR certification. Ours were two college student (one in law school!) and they were friends since high school. They did an excellent job.

Again, sorry about your cat.

7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home