Wednesday, January 24, 2007

29 week update

This will be brief since I spent 2.5 hrs last night, from 3 to about 5:30, counting Braxton Hicks and wondering if I needed to call Labor & Delivery or not. I never did exceed the magic number of 4 per hour, but let me tell you, when you get three of those in a row, ten minutes apart, it gets your attention. But I wanted to update this for those few (and well-appreciated!) of you who appear to actually check this blog.

In a nutshell, I'm just a mess these days. I am in constant discomfort -- the only question being what degree, not whether or not. I am GI-NORMOUS (as both my husband and total strangers love to tell me lately). The bad part, though, is the Braxton Hicks contractions, which make me feel like my belly is turning inside-out and also scare the heck out of me when I gete too many. Luckily my cervix is holding up well, but from the number and frequency of the BH I get, you would think I was at 40w instead of 29w. This makes me chuckle sardonically when my OB schedules my C-section at 38 weeks (March 26), but okay, whatever makes her happy. I have a feeling, though, that I won't make it past 36. These guys are getting big.

Just how big was illustrated yesterday, when we went up to my HMO for an indepth ultrasound. (I say "we" because poor D. had to chauffeur me there, as he does most of the time now. Once there, he had to go in and get a wheelchair and then wheel me in like a too-heavy load of laundry. I just cannot manage that big parking lot and THEN the long walk down the hospital hallway to Radiology anymore.) We had a lovely, chatty u/s tech (we'll call her Aurelia) who seemed to know what she was doing (always a plus). She confided that she herself was 25w with her sixth kid! (I had wondered at the bulge but with someone who's a bit overweight, it's better to wait for the information to be volunteered.) Aurelia gave us the guided tour, much like Oscar, and showed us one baby's little foot, from the bottom, like a footprint (aww! SO cute!) and both their little "wee wees," as she put it. Oh, yes, their faces too. Comparing them in profile, you can see differences in the noses ... it will be interesting to see how much they look alike, or don't.

And the boyos have been growing apace! They are both in the 57th percentile for growth for singletons, with estimated weights of 3 lbs 3 oz. and 3 lbs 2 oz. But the tech commented yesterday that "there's still room in there," so hopefully we will get them up to 5 lbs each ... and then, ya know, I'm good with all this being over. I really am. 'Cause if ONE more person tells me "You're glowing!" (and yes, they really say that -- apparently all my friends got together and came up with the single most irritating phrase possible) -- that person is gonna get SAT ON by a huge and irate pregnant lady!

And ya know that's gotta hurt.

2 Comments:

Blogger Thalia said...

You sound uncomfortable, but in good spirits. I think the aim of 5lb each sounds very sensible. And of course D should go to your ultrasound. Heavens sakes woman, isn't he the father??

8:26 AM  
Blogger moo said...

hang in there! Not much longer now. You sound absolutely "glowing". Just joking. Take care and 5lbs is just around the corner. xxMoo

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home