Thursday, February 08, 2007

Tough days

These are just tough times, mentally, for both of us. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, D has to teach all day long, not getting home until 7:30. Then he has to clean litter boxes, feed the cats, take out the recycling and trash ... just fun stuff on top of a long day. (But it's all stuff I can't cope with right now.)

I felt kind of isolated since he disappeared to the living room right afterward, and because I was having some contractions, I stayed in bed. When D. finally came in to get ready for bed, about an hour later, I tried, very gently, to start a conversation ... just stuff about how his day went, etc. He told me that it looks like the teacher's union at his university may very well call for a strike. The problem with that is that he doesn't agree with many of the stances that the union has taken, and therefore has never joined it. But if they strike, it will be time for him to jump, to one side of the fence or the other. And whichever way he goes, he is sure to make some enemies. (They take this stuff very seriously there -- you would think they were life or death issues, instead of things like whether the student activity fee should be raised by $15 per year.) And the problem with making enemies is that he is finally up for tenure this year.

Sigh ... Anyway, then I made the mistake of asking him to help me put away a couple of things that were lying on the bed, since I was still having some problems. (I spent a good part of this afternoon sorting out drawers in our bedroom, thus the junk strewn all over the bed.) I asked him to get rid of a pile of newspapers -- and he threw them on the floor. Then I pointed out some old shirts that I had designated as new rags (which should have gone in the rag bucket in the hall closet) -- and he threw them on the floor.

Well, thanks, honey, I said. I could have managed that myself. I had more in mind "putting them away" -- what a strange concept. (And this is actually really funny in a sort of grumpy way, since he is the neatnik and I am the queen of useless crap -- hence the need to sort out the drawers and get rid of the excess.)

Decided at that point it was time to haul my Braxton-Hicksish butt out of bed and go wandering over the Internet instead, where at least no one would be grumpy at me. So here I am.

If one more person tells me I am glowing, I think I will bite them.

5 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

That glowing crap gets kind of old, doesn't it?

Sorry your husband is being a brat. My husband takes work stuff way too seriously. If it helps, he got better about it after our son was born. But it still crops up now and then. Fortunately, he knows I will beat his ass if he acts up, so he just pouts subtly.

Hang in there. Not too much longer.

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you think it sucks now but the really HARD part starts when you bring the babies home from the hospital and all the help is gone. Please prepare yourself and your partner - and sleep as much as you can!

I'm telling you b/c I wish someone had told me just hard/difficult/overwhelming it was going to be. You will wish for and dream about "tough days" like these.

8:15 PM  
Blogger moo said...

Hang in there! Rest up. I can understand how tough it feels..I hope things go "glowingly" this week (sorry that made me giggle because I hear that one too and I sure didn't feel glowing when it was said !)

4:31 AM  
Blogger Thalia said...

sounds like he needs a good nights sleep. Hoping you found some non-grumpy people to hang out with.

1:54 AM  
Blogger Marie-Baguette said...

Hi! Thank you for your comment on my blog. I wanted to let you know that Thalia had indicated your blog when I was told I needed a reduction, and reading your posts helped me a lot to go through this. I can't thank you enough for sharing your story.
I hope you will get plenty of rest and food before the arrival of the twins. Keep us updated !
Bonne chance

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home